Lapsed Registration? Vehicle been De-registered?

Your vehicle entry certification is facilitated by Waikato Vehicle Compliance and the inspection is carried out by VTNZ under contract to, and in accordance with guidelines set by NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) at WVC premises.  

What happens when your vehicle needs to have a compliance inspection?

What do I need to do?
Firstly, you need to book the vehicle in. We will need it for a minimum of a full day, but occasionally longer. We need the vehicle to arrive to us on the day of its inspection by 8:30am, clean and clear from any objects inside the vehicle.

What do we need?
If you were the owner of the vehicle when the registration lapsed, all we need is a form of photo ID (Drivers licence/Passport) when you drop the vehicle off, we will take a photocopy of this.
If you weren't the last registered owner of the vehicle we also need a Bill of Sale/invoice.  This must state the previous owners details, your details and the vehicles number plate and VIN number. This needs to be an original document - not a copy. (Call us if you need help with this)
If you are unable to provide this, you can complete a Statutory Declaration form, this needs to be signed by a Justice of the Peace, or you can take it to the Courthouse to be signed.

What happens?

The inspection has two components, a physical and the paperwork.  All paperwork is checked for accuracy and authenticity, and the vehicle is stripped of the interior parts so the VTNZ Inspector to assess for any structural or rust damage or repair.  They also look for water damage. The vehicle is put up on a hoist, all wheels are removed and it is inspected. The inspector will also take the vehicle for a small test drive.  

If it passes? 

We then reassemble the interior. It is issued with a Warrant of Fitness. 
We will contact you to advise you and arrange collection of the vehicle. When you come to collect the vehicle we will issue you with the paperwork to go to VTNZ and register the vehicle and get new number plates.​  (This is at additional cost)
For all first time registrations this needs to be done by VTNZ in person.

If it fails?   

We will contact you to advise the vehicle has failed and discuss with you what it has failed on. We can prepare an estimate for the cost of repairs.  (There may be a charge of $40 for preparing estimates for large repair jobs - refundable if we do the job) If you are happy for us to carry out the repairs, we will repair the vehicle and put it back through the recheck. If you take the vehicle away to do the repairs yourself  it needs to be re-booked for a recheck.  You have 20 working days from the date of the inspection to carry out the repairs before a new inspection is required.

If the inspector fails the vehicle on anything they deem to be structural damage, rust or water damage, or they find evidence of previous rust or structural repairs, they will require a repair cert to be carried out on the vehicle. This needs to be done by a Repair Certifier.  If it requires repairs these need to be carried out under the repair certifier's instruction. The cost for the repair cert itself is $450, plus the cost of the repairs on top. 

How much does it cost?

(all fees are GST inclusive)
All Import Compliance $480.00
Motorbike Compliance $245.00
Scratch Built Compliance $480.00
Lapsed Registration Compliance (Vehicle first registered in NZ prior to Jan 1991) $350.00
Lapsed Registration Compliance (Vehicle first registered in NZ from/after  Jan 1991) $440.00
Trike Compliance $440.00
VIN Assignment $100.00 

VIN attachment $100.00

Need to Talk it through? The friendly team at Waikato Vehicle Compliance are happy to discuss getting your car compliant and back on the road!


Over 70 years worth of experience between our technicians and Certifiers. You can trust we can sort any job, on any vehicle. 


4e Wickham Street
Hamilton 3204

Facebook Nostalgia Motors

© 2017 Nostalgia Motors